One of the benefits this present generation has over previous generations is what we call ‘Technology’. As a result of the influx of technology, we now have more users fully engaged with digital devices.
Nevertheless, it is important to know that this same technology which has been embraced with open arms also has its down sides. One of which is a medical condition called Computer Eye Strain.
In other words, what this means is that after a long stare at screen devices, the tendency to experience discomfort in your eyes increases.
Meanwhile Statistics from Vision Council shows that over 32.4% of American adults experience this medical condition. On the other hand, 27.9% are reported to have a blurred vision.
WHAT IS COMPUTER EYE STRAIN?
This is a condition whereby the eyes gets tired and uncomfortable after starring uninterruptedly at a digital device for over 3-4 hours.
As a result of this, a medical condition known as ‘Computer Vision Syndrome’ becomes evident.
SYMPTOMS OF COMPUTER EYE STRAIN
Some of the early signs one would notice are;
- A blurred or double vision.
- An unusual fatigue of the eye.
- An itchy or watery eyes.
- Inability to fix your eyes on an object.
- A dry or irritated eyes.
- Persistent headaches, neck and shoulder pain.
- Increased sensitivity to light.
CAUSES OF COMPUTER EYE STRAIN
It is possible that Computer Eye Strain may not be caused by an underlying disease. However, taking extreme precaution can help protect your eyes from damage.
- Small fonts and images from digital devices.
- An improper positioning of your digital devices.
- An improper viewing distance.
- Starring uninterruptedly at digital devices for too long.
- Poor seating posture.
- Reading without pausing your eyes.
- Straining to see in very dim light.
- Exposure to bright light.
- Constant experience of fatigue.
- Poor lighting.
- Uncorrected vision problems.
Similarly, it is important to know that the causes may differ in humans, as often times, individuals experience visual symptoms based on their visual abilities.
A lot of times, uncorrected vision problems in addition to any of these listed above may result in the occurrence of these visual symptoms.
HOW TO PREVENT COMPUTER EYE STRAIN .
Preventing Computer Eye Strain is not as technical as some believe it to be.
Adhering to these computer ergonomics is capable of protecting you from Computer Eye Strain.
- Use proper lighting and minimize surrounding lights.
- Increase in the font sizes of digital devices.
- Take momentarily breaks while spending along time using digital devices.
- Upgrade your screen display or resolution.
- Take proper eye care and blink momentarily while using your digital devices.
- Properly place your digital devices 15-20 degrees below your eye level.
- Be conscious of your seating posture and make adjustments where necessary.
- Get Anti-glare screens or Computer glasses while using your digital devices.
In conclusion, it is preferable to schedule a visit with your Eye specialist regularly.
In addition, you can also get the best computer glasses when you shop at Hovina Glass.